If you crave a little simplicity in your baking, this no-fuss banana chocolate chip single layer cake is just for you.
Do you have bananas ripening on your counter? Grab ’em and let’s get baking!
Be sure to check out our short video to see just how easy it is to make this allergy-friendly vegan treat!
The recipe calls for 1 cup of mashed bananas (2-3 ripe bananas). More brown spots on the bananas equal sweeter, more banana flavor.
In a medium bowl, whisk together a gluten free flour blend, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt; set aside.
In another bowl, whisk together bananas, vegan margarine (melted and cooled to room temperature), alternative milk, and cider vinegar. Combine wet and dry ingredients and gently combine without over mixing. Fold in chocolate chips.
Immediately pour into a lightly greased 8-inch square baking pan and smooth surface. Sprinkle with additional chocolate chips.
Bake 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
I’ll have mine with ice cream please!
Banana Chocolate-Chip One Layer Cake
Yield 1 (8-inch) square pan
Free of: gluten and top 9 allergens.
Delicious no-fuss banana chocolate-chip one layer cake!
1-3/4 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour blend
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp xanthan gum (omit if using flour blend containing xanthan gum)
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup mashed ripe bananas, about 2-3 medium
6 tbsp plant-based margarine, such as Earth Balance Soy Free Buttery Sticks, melted and cooled to room temperature
1/4 cup alternative milk, such as gluten-free oat or unsweetened hemp
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup allergy-friendly chocolate chips, such as Enjoy Life's Dark Chocolate Morsels
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Lightly grease an 8-inch square baking pan; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt; set aside.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together bananas, margarine, milk, and cider vinegar.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and gently combine without overmixing. Fold in chocolate chips, reserving a small handful.
- Pour into prepared baking pan and smooth surface. Sprinkle with the reserved chips.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack.