Want to make someone’s day? Bake them a loaf of banana bread! Did you know this easy-to-make treat was the most searched for recipe across all US states during the first 30 days of the covid 19 pandemic?
Joel’s grandmother Georgia Schaefer made the best banana bread around with just 6 ingredients. We’ve developed many a version of this popular bread and decided to transform her recipe into an allergy-friendly loaf.
With 1/2 cup butter, 1 cup sugar, 2 eggs, 3 bananas, 1 tsp baking soda, and 2 cups flour, check out what we came up with…The key to a good banana bread is overripe bananas. Once the skins start developing freckles and the bananas are too soft for snacking, it’s banana bread time.
- Combine gluten-free all-purpose flour (we use King Arthur) with baking soda, baking powder, and a little xanthan gum and salt.
- Make flax eggs by whisking together water and flaxseed meal. Add mashed bananas, sugar, melted vegan butter (we use Earth Balance Soy-Free Buttery Sticks), vanilla, and a dash of apple cider vinegar. Whisk to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and whisk gently to combine.
- Pour into a lightly greased loaf pan and bake in an oven preheated to 350-degrees F for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 30 minutes in the pan.
Gently remove from the pan and finish cooling on a cooling rack.
Perfect for breakfast or dessert. Oh…how about grilled banana bread topped with plant-based vanilla ice cream and allergy-friendly hot fudge? Sounds delicious!
There are thousands of banana bread recipes out there. Sure, you can add raisins, chocolate chips, a little cinnamon and nutmeg, and nuts if you don’t have a nut allergy. But this loaf screams BANANA, pure banana goodness!
Thanks Grandma Schaefer for the inspiration!
Yield 1 (8.5x4.5-inch) Loaf
Free of: gluten and top 8 allergens.
Pure banana goodness!
6 tbsp lukewarm water
2 tbsp flaxseed meal
2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour blend
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/4 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium to large)
3/4 cup organic cane sugar or other granulated sugar
1/2 cup allergy-friendly butter, such as Earth Balance Soy-Free Buttery Sticks, melted
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Make the flax eggs by vigorously whisking together water and flaxseed meal in a medium bowl. Set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Place the flour in a medium bowl. Sift baking soda, baking powder, and xanthan gum into the flour. Add salt and whisk together.
- Return to flax mixture and whisk vigorously. The texture will be gelatinous as that of eggs.
- To the flax eggs, add mashed banana, sugar, melted butter, vanilla, and vinegar. Whisk well to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and whisk gently until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool for 30 minutes in the pan, then remove from the pan and finish cooling on a cooling rack.
- Once the loaf is fully cooled, use a serrated knife to slice it.
Courses Breakfast & Brunch