Beat the heat with an amazing Chocolate Raspberry Affogato!
Try this delicious variation of the traditional vanilla gelato and espresso treat. We’ve added raspberry ganache as the first layer…yum!
With temperatures well into the triple digits all week, this cool and refreshing dessert is the way to go.
If you’re not a fan of coffee, we have a substitution for you.
Come on and meet a new favorite dessert…
In its classic form, an affogato is the combination of espresso and gelato. The word “affogato” literally translates to “drowned” in Italian, thus the cold gelato is drowned by the pouring of hot espresso.
I’m not a coffee drinker. However, in my ice cream eating days as a kid, coffee was hands down my favorite flavor. This dessert is reminiscent of those childhood times.
If you’re not into coffee, don’t let that stop you from enjoying this amazing dessert. Simply sub allergy-friendly hot chocolate.
Hot chocolate in July? Don’t worry, the ice cream will cool it down real quick.
Ganache is the star of so many desserts. It’s the divine blending of pure chocolate and cream.
Today, there are many high-quality vegan and allergy-friendly chocolates on the market that are bittersweet, semisweet and dark. It’s definitely worth paying a little more for good quality chocolate, also called couverture.
If you like Mexican chocolate, Taza is a winner.
We used Enjoy Life Mini Chips, but also made a second batch of ganache using their Dark Morsels. Both worked equally well. Since Enjoy Life has a dedicated facility, there are no worries of cross contact if any of the top allergens are an issue.
To make the ganache, melt the chocolate over a double boiler and add warm hemp milk or other alternative milk. If the milk is cold, the chocolate will solidify and lump, so be sure to warm it up slightly.
Gently whisk the ganache until smooth. Add your favorite raspberry preserves and stir to combine. Set aside to cool at room temperature for at least an hour.
You can make the ganache ahead of time and store in the fridge. When you’re ready to serve this easy dessert, simply warm the ganache slightly in the microwave.
In this recipe we use coffee. However, espresso is the real deal, so have it your way.
Portion ganache in a coffee cup, then top with 2 scoops of your favorite allergy-friendly vanilla ice cream.
Pour in about a half cup of freshly brewed coffee or a shot or two of espresso. Garnish with fresh raspberries, if desired.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Chocolate Raspberry Affogato
Yield 4 Servings
Free of: gluten and top 8 allergens.
Try this delicious variation of the traditional vanilla gelato and espresso treat. We've added raspberry ganache as the first layer...yum!
1 cup allergy-friendly chocolate chips, such as Enjoy Life Mini Chips (see recipe notes)
1/2 cup unsweetened hemp milk
3 tbsp raspberry preserves
Alternative vanilla ice cream
2 cups fresh brewed coffee
1 cup fresh raspberries for garnish, optional
- Place chocolate in a medium stainless steel bowl. Fill a medium saucepan with about 3-inches of water. Bring the water to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and place the bowl of chocolate over the saucepan. The bowl should sit in the saucepan without directly touching the water. Gently stir the chocolate until melted, monitoring the water to ensure it's not boiling, but gently simmering. Turn off heat and remove bowl from saucepan.
- Heat hemp milk in a small saucepan or microwave just until warm. Pour milk over melted chocolate and whisk gently until smooth.
- Add preserves and stir to combine. Set aside to cool at room temperature for at least 1 hour.
- Ganache can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge. When ready to use, simply warm the ganache slightly in the microwave at 5 second intervals.
- To assemble, place 1/4 cup ganache in each large cup and top with 2 scoops of ice cream. Pour in 1/2 cup coffee or a shot or two of espresso.
- Garnish with fresh raspberries, if desired. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- In place of the chips, you can substitute 5 ounces of your favorite chocolate, chopped.