Streusel Stuffed Baked Apples
Yield 6 Servings
Free of: gluten and top 8 allergens.
A crispy oat topping is baked inside whole apples for a simple, yet elegant dessert everyone will love!
1/2 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour blend
1/4 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
1/4 tsp sea salt
6 tbsp cold dairy-free, soy-free margarine or buttery sticks, such as Earth Balance, cut in small cubes
1 cup gluten-free old fashioned oats
6 medium apples, such as Braeburn, Gala, or Honeycrisp (see recipe notes)
2 tbsp pure maple syrup or honey
- For the streusel, in a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and salt. Using a pastry cutter, or your hands, incorporate margarine into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add oats and work into mixture. Set aside in fridge while preparing the apples.
- For the apples, preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Rinse and dry the apples. Cut a small layer off the bottom of each apple to create a flat and stable bottom surface.
- Cut a crosswise slice from the top of each apple, about 1-inch thick. Using a paring knife, cut a cylindrical cone out of the top of each apple, coring the apples and creating a bowl. Using a melon baller or teaspoon, dig out the remaining core and seeds, leaving the bottom half-inch of the apples intact.
- Place 1 tsp of maple syrup or honey in each cavity. Divide the streusel between the apples, filling the cavities and forming a mound on top of each apple.
- Place the apples in a baking dish and fill with about 1/2-inch of hot water. Place in oven and bake until tops are golden brown and apples are tender, yet still retain their shape, about 45-60 minutes. Bake time depends on size and type of apple. You may have to tent the tops with foil half way through to prevent from over-browning.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving. Top with allergy-friendly vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Honeycrisp, Gala, Braeburn, Fuji, Jonagold, Rome Beauty and McIntosh are just a handful of apples that are great for baking whole.
Recipe by Allergy Chefs at https://www.yourallergychefs.com/streusel-stuffed-baked-apples/