Sausage Hoagies with Onions, Peppers, and Mushrooms
Yield 6 Hoagies
Free of: gluten and top 8 allergens.
A breeze to whip up, this delicious hoagie is filled with sausage, sautéed peppers, mushrooms, and onions.
6 Italian sausage links, sweet or hot
2 1/2 cups sliced onions
3/4 cup sliced green bell peppers
3/4 cup sliced red bell peppers
8 ounces sliced button mushrooms
6 allergy-friendly hoagie rolls or hot dog buns
1 1/2 cups marinara, such as Rao's
6 slices provolone cheese, such as Follow Your Heart or Violife (see recipe notes) - optional
- Heat a large skillet or cast iron pan over medium-high heat.
- Add sausages and cook covered with a splatter screen, for 5 - 7 minutes, turning them occasionally so they brown on all sides. Remove sausages from pan and set aside.
- Add onions and peppers. Toss to coat with the oil from the sausages. Cover and cook for 3 - 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add mushrooms. Cover and cook for 3 - 5 minutes, until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. It may be necessary to add 2-4 tablespoons of water, a tablespoon at a time as needed.
- Return the sausages to the pan with the vegetables. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook until sausages are reheated.
- Fill each hoagie or bun with a sausage. Top each sausage with 2 - 3 tablespoons of marinara. Top with cheese and a little more marinara, if desired.
- If adding cheese, bake in an oven, preheated to 400-degrees F for 5 - 10 minutes, until cheese melts.
- Serve with plenty of napkins, and enjoy!
Use your favorite provolone or mozzarella cheese slices or mozzarella style shreds, such as Daiya.
Recipe by Allergy Chefs at https://www.yourallergychefs.com/sausage-hoagies-with-onions-peppers-and-mushrooms/