Fried Green Tomatoes
Yield 6 Servings
Free of: gluten and top 8 allergens.
Crispy on the outside and juicy in the middle, these fried green tomatoes are addictive!
1/2 cup allergy-friendly mayonnaise, such as Follow Your Heart Soy-Free Vegenaise
1-1/2 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp dill relish
2 tsp finely chopped flat leaf (Italian) parsley
3/4 tsp dry mustard powder
1/8 tsp sriracha or other hot sauce
4 medium green tomatoes
2 tbsp ground flaxseed meal
6 tbsp lukewarm water
1/2 cup allergy-friendly gluten-free flour blend
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup allergy-friendly panko or breadcrumbs
1/2 cup unsweetened hemp milk
- For the remoulade, in a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, ketchup, dill relish, parsley, dry mustard, and sriracha. Cover and let sit in refrigerator for several hours to let the flavors combine.
- For the tomatoes, cut crosswise into 1/3 to 1/2-inch thick slices, discarding the ends. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flaxseed meal and water. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a second bowl, mix together flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- In a third bowl, mix together cornmeal and panko.
- Return to the flaxseed mixture and vigorously whisk; it will be gelatinous. Whisk in milk.
- To set up your breading station, if you are right-handed, line up your ingredients from left to right in the following order: green tomatoes, seasoned flour, liquid, cornmeal/panko. Reversing the bowls, left-handed cooks will work from right to left.
- Dredge tomatoes in seasoned flour to coat. Dip in flaxseed and milk mixture. Dredge in cornmeal/panko mixture to completely coat.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1/2-inch in a large cast iron skillet or other skillet and heat over medium heat. Place tomatoes into hot oil in batches of 4 or 5, depending on the size of your skillet. The tomatoes should not touch each other. Cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Transfer to a paper towel-lined platter. Repeat with remaining tomatoes.
- Serve fried green tomatoes with remoulade and let the dipping begin!
For a healthier baked option, omit step 9. Place tomatoes on a parchment-lined baking pan. Spray lightly with cooking spray, preferably extra virgin olive oil. Bake at 325-degrees F for about 40 minutes, flipping halfway through, until crisp and golden brown.
Recipe by Your Allergy Chefs at https://www.yourallergychefs.com/fried-green-tomatoes/