Yield 4 Servings
Free of: gluten and top 8 allergens.
French toast is the perfect comfort food for a weekend breakfast or brunch. Choose your favorite toppings to make it your own.
1 tbsp flaxseed meal
3 tbsp lukewarm water
1 cup garbanzo bean flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp kosher or sea salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup water
8 slices allergen-friendly bread
1 pint fresh berries
4 tbsp dairy-free, soy-free margarine, optional
1/2 cup pure maple syrup or agave nectar
- Preheat a skillet or nonstick griddle over medium-high heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flaxseed meal and water. Let stand for 5 minutes and whisk again; it will be gelatinous. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon and salt.
- Again whisk the flaxseed mixture and add to the flour mixture along with vanilla.
- Whisk in water 1/3 cup at a time. The batter will be thick.
- Pour batter into a shallow pan.
- Dunk each slice of bread into batter, soaking each side. Gently shake off excess batter and place bread slices onto hot, lightly greased skillet. Cook until golden, about 1 - 2 minutes. Flip bread over and cook until other side is golden, approximately 1 - 2 minutes. Repeat with remaining bread slices. Batter will thicken as it sits. Add 1 tbsp water as needed to thin batter.
- Serve hot with fresh berries or seasonal fruit, margarine and pure maple syrup or agave nectar.
- We used Follow Your Heart Gluten-Free Brioche which is vegan, nut & soy free.
- Garbanzo bean flour is also known as chickpea flour, gram flour, besan flour and cici flour.
- One of the earliest versions of french toast has been traced back to the Roman Empire. Called Pan Dulcis, Romans would soak bread in a milk mixture, sometimes with eggs, then fry in oil or butter.
- In France they call this pain perdu, or "forgotten bread".
- In England, french toast is called "Poor Knights of Windsor".
- French toast is a.k.a. eggy bread, Bombay toast, German toast, gypsy toast and torrija.
Courses Breakfast & Brunch
Recipe by Your Allergy Chefs at https://www.yourallergychefs.com/french-toast/