Crispy Avocado Tacos
Yield 8 Tacos
Free of: gluten and top 8 allergens.
Take taco night to a whole new level!
Sweet & Tangy Slaw
1 1/2 cups shredded green cabbage (see recipes notes)
1 cup shredded purple cabbage
1 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup thinly sliced radish
1/8 cup chopped green onion
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tbsp honey or pure maple syrup
1 tbsp minced jalapeno
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp salt
Canola oil or other high-heat oil, for frying
1/4 cup + 1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour, divided
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup allergy-friendly panko bread crumbs
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
3/4 cup unsweetened hemp milk, plus additional if needed
2 medium avocados, pitted, peeled and sliced into 16 long wedges
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed (see recipe notes)
8 soft corn tortillas, warmed
- For slaw, in a large bowl, combine cabbages, carrot, radish, and green onions.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, honey, jalapeño, garlic, and salt. Pour over cabbage mixture and toss to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- For fried avocados, fill a deep fryer with oil, or a large pot with 4-6 inches of oil, and preheat to 350-degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour, cornmeal, panko, paprika, garlic and onion powders, thyme, salt and pepper. Add hemp milk and whisk to combine. Let batter sit for 5 minutes to thicken. If the batter gets too thick while you're frying, whisk in an additional tablespoon of hemp milk as needed.
- In a small bowl, gently toss avocado wedges with remaining 1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour.
- Dunk each avocado wedge into batter and let excess batter drip off. Fry for 2-3 minutes per batch, or until crisp and golden. Carefully remove with a slotted spoon and place on paper towels to drain.
- To assemble tacos, top each tortilla with beans, 2 fried avocado wedges and slaw. Garnish with cilantro and serve with your favorite salsa.
- We first developed this recipe for Allergic Living and we're excited to be able to share it with you.
- To save on time, you can substitute 3-1/2 cups coleslaw mix for the cabbages and carrot.
- Check out our recipe for lime infused refried black beans, which are a great match for these tacos.
Recipe by Allergy Chefs at https://www.yourallergychefs.com/crispy-avocado-tacos/