Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
Yield 6 Servings
Free of: gluten and top 8 allergens.
Loved for centuries by children and adults, mac 'n cheese is a family favorite and the ultimate comfort food.
16 ounces elbow macaroni
5 cups rice milk beverage, such as Organic Rice Dream Rice Drink
1/4 of a medium yellow onion
1 whole clove
2 bay leaves
4 tbsp dairy-free, soy-free margarine or buttery sticks, such as Earth Balance
4 tbsp sweet white rice flour
2-1/2 tsp smoked paprika
2-1/2 cups cheddar-style cheeze shreds (10 ounces)
3/4 tsp sea salt
Pinch white pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring milk, onion, cloves and bay leaves to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Strain and reserve liquid, discarding onion, cloves and bay leaves.
- Make a roux. Using the same saucepan, melt margarine over low heat. Add flour, paprika and cayenne and cook for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Increase heat to medium. Add half of the reserved rice milk and whisk until smooth. Add remaining rice milk. Increase heat to medium high. With a spoon, go around edges of pan to incorporate any roux. When the sauce comes to a simmer, reduce heat to low and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Add the cheddar shreds and cook another 5 minutes, whisking until the cheese is melted. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the pasta and cheese sauce.
- Pour into a 2-quart casserole baking dish. Bake for about 30 minutes, until casserole is bubbling. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Sometimes, cooking directions for packaged specialty pastas are not accurate. This could have to do with how rapidly the water is boiling and also different stoves. To ensure your pasta does not overcook, check for doneness several minutes before package directions specify, and then every minute or so.
Recipe by Allergy Chefs at https://www.yourallergychefs.com/creamy-macaroni-and-cheese/