Chicken, Quinoa and Black-Eyed Pea Soup
Yield 6-8 Servings
Free of: gluten and top 8 allergens.
The perfect good-luck meal!
1 tbsp grapeseed oil
1 cup yellow or white onions, small dice
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
2 quarts low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
2 bay leaves
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed (see recipe notes)
1/2 cup celery, small dice (see recipe notes)
1/2 cup carrots, small dice
4 cups cooked shredded chicken
2 (15-ounce) cans black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
6 ounces fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped (about 8 cups packed, then chopped)
1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
1 lime, cut into 6 wedges
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and salt and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and jalapeños and cook an additional 30 seconds.
- Pour in broth and increase heat to medium-high. When the broth comes to a boil, add bay leaves, thyme, quinoa, celery, and carrots. Return to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, until quinoa is cooked and vegetables are crisp tender.
- Discard bay leaves and thyme sprigs.
- Add chicken, black eyed peas, spinach, cilantro, and mint. Simmer, uncovered an additional 5 minutes, until the chicken is heated through and spinach is slightly wilted.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with additional cilantro, if desired. Serve with lime wedges.
- Enjoy with a side of Sweet Potato Cornbread!
- Quinoa's natural coating, called saponin, can make it taste bitter or soapy. Much of the quinoa sold in the U.S. is pre-washed before it's packaged. If not, for best flavor, rinse before using.
- Small dice cuts measure 1/4-inch x 1/4-inch x 1/4-inch.
- Recipe yield: approximately 12 cups.
- Make Mine Veggie: For a delicious plant-based option, use vegetable broth and omit the chicken.
Courses Soups & Salads
Recipe by Allergy Chefs at https://www.yourallergychefs.com/chicken-quinoa-and-black-eyed-pea-soup/