Carrot and Strawberry Soup with Cinnamon Croutons
Yield 4 Servings
Free of: gluten and top 8 allergens.
This one-pot meal is packed with personality! Carrot and Strawberry Soup is fresh, delicious...and easy to make.
1/2 pound allergy-friendly, gluten-free bread (see recipe notes)
2 tbsp organic cane sugar
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tbsp allergy-friendly margarine, melted, such as Earth Balance
1 tbsp grapeseed oil
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 tsp chopped garlic
2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger
1 pound carrots, peeled and trimmed, cut into 1/4-inch coins (about 3 1/2 cups)
2 cups vegetable broth
1 pint strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and halved
1 (2 1/2-inch) cinnamon stick
1 cup coconut milk
Toasted sunflower seeds, optional garnish
- For the croutons, preheat oven to 300-degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Cut bread into 1/2 to 3/4-inch cubes. Place in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon, and ginger.
- Drizzle the bread cubes with margarine and gently toss to coat. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over bread cubes. Again toss gently to evenly coat.
- Spread croutons on prepared baking sheet, giving them lots of room so they are not touching and can toast evenly.
- Bake until golden brown, dry and crisp, about 40 minutes, tossing croutons halfway through.
- Remove from oven and cool completely. Store, covered at room temperature. You will have more than you need for this recipe.
- For the soup, in a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and celery and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, curry, basil, and ginger. Cook, stirring about 1 minute.
- Add carrots, broth, strawberries, and cinnamon stick. The soup will appear dry. However, when simmering begins, the strawberries will give off liquid. When soup comes to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer gently until carrots are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove cinnamon stick.
- In batches, transfer soup to a high speed blender and puree until smooth. Return soup to saucepan over medium heat. Add coconut milk. Cook just until heated through.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with croutons and sunflower seeds, if desired.
- For the croutons, use your favorite baguette, artisan rolls or sliced bread. Some allergy-friendly breads are fragile and crumble easily. Therefore, be sure to toss gently with margarine and cinnamon sugar.
- You can use olive oil in place of margarine when making the croutons.
Courses Soups & Salads
Recipe by Your Allergy Chefs at https://www.yourallergychefs.com/carrot-and-strawberry-soup-with-cinnamon-croutons/